Aug. 1775, Seige of Boston, Dr. John Green, signed receipt for soldiers care
This is a wonderful, original document, dated August, 1775, where Dr. John Green of Worcester, Massachusetts, has signed a receipt for care of Nathaniel Bancroft, of Colonel (Artemas) Ward's Regiment, Captain Cushing's company, for the use of diascordium and laudnum...signed at lower right by John Green, M.D.. Document is 3x10 inches, overall very good condition.
Dr. John Green studied medicine with his father, in company with many other students. On coming of age. he moved to Worcester and built his house upon the eminence at the north end of Worcester which camp to be known as Green Hill. Here he lived for his whole life. He was very successful from the first. He adopted the practice of watching over his patients like a nurse, day and night, if required. He became even more famous as a physician and surgeon than his distinguished father. His son, grandson, great-grandson and great-great grandson, all of the same name and title of Dr. John Green, have also attained unusual eminence in the same profession. No better evidence of inherited aptitude and skill in medicine and surgery could be shown. Dr. John Green instructed many students, as his father had done.
At first he had his office at the house on Green'Hill, but later in a small wooden structure on Main street, on the original site of the Five Cent Savings Bank building. At that time there Were but seven houses on Main street between the Common and Lincoln Square. William Lincoln, in his "History of Worcester," writing in 1836, says: "Tradition bears ample though very general testimony to his worth. Fortunate adaptation of natural capacity to professional pursuits gave an extensive circuit of employment and high reputation. Habits of accurate observation, the action of vigorous intellect, and the results of experience, seem to have supplied the place of that learning deriving its acquirements from the deductions of others through the medium of books. Enjoying great esteem for skill and fidelity, hospitality and benevolence secured personal regard." Dr. Samuel B. Woodward writes, of Dr. Green: "An earnest patriot, he was in 1773 a member (and the only medical member) of the American Political Society, which was formed 'on account of the grievous burdens of the times,' and did so much to bring about that change of public sentiment which expelled the adherents of the Crown. He took a prominent part in all the Revolutionary proceedings, and in 1777 was sent as representative to the general court. In 1778 and 1779 he was town treasurer and in 1780 one of the selectmen, the only physician who ever held that office" in Worcester.