American Revolutionary War 4 pouder Cannon Ball from Colson's Depot NC
Found near Colson’s Supply Depot in a cache of balls a few years ago on private property. Roughly 4 lbs and 3 in diameter. This has an excellent surface.
Fortified Revolutionary depot built 1781 to protect supplies and arms of Gen. Nathanael Greene. In January 1781, Nathanael Greene sent orders to Gen. Alexander Lillington of the North Carolina militia to construct a supply depot on a high hill near the east bank of the Pee Dee River. The installation would support Greene’s army as it passed through the area. Greene dispatched Polish engineer, Gen. Thaddeus Kosciuszko, to overlook the construction, and gave Lillington twelve days to complete it. The depot stood in the vicinity of William Colson’s mill on Rocky River, and thus became known as Colson’s supply depot. William Colson and his father John operated a tavern, mill, and ferry in the region. Remaining loyal to King George III, the Colson families fled in July 1780 when William Lee Davidson’s Whig militia defeated Samuel Bryan’s Tories near John Colson’s ordinary in a fight at Colson’s. The only documented military activity after the construction came shortly after the Battle of Guilford Courthouse when Greene’s army stopped and replenished his supplies en route to South Carolina. The depot remained in active service until the close of the war, when the stores were removed and the post abandoned. Locals began calling the site Fort Hill in the early twentieth-century.
A great display piece at a very reasonable price for a Rev War cannon ball from a site that hosted some of the most important leaders in the Southern theater. .