top of page
1740, Falmouth, Maine, Lt. Nathaniel Jordan land sale, Colonel Jeremiah Moulton

1740, Falmouth, Maine, Lt. Nathaniel Jordan land sale, Colonel Jeremiah Moulton


A great large size document signed by one of the first famous Americans.  Jeremiah Moulton's silver tankard is in the Yale Museum.  This is a wonderful, original document dated 1740, Falmouth, Maine, where  Lt. Nathaniel Jordan has given all his lands to his three sons, Nathaniel, Joshua and Benjamin...signed at bottom by Nathaniel Jordan, Robert Mitchell, Benjamin Reye, Roger Dearing (Deering) and Jeremiah Moulton. Document is 8x11, folds, else in overall good condition.

Jeremiah Moulton (b. York, Massachusetts (now in York, Maine), 1688, d. York, 20 July 1765) was a New England militia officer and member of the Massachusetts Council.

As a boy, during King William's War, Moulton's parents were killed and he was taken captive in the Raid on York (1692). He was eventually released and served in Father Rale's War at Fort Richmond (Maine). Between 1721 and 1724 there were four attempts to capture the missionary Father Sebastian Rale; Captain Jeremiah Moulton played a prominent role in at least two of these, including the last, which succeeded, which is known as Battle of Norridgewock.

After this attack, Captain Moulton continued to take part in scouting expeditions. When the war was over, he remained a militia officer, but resumed his civil career. He became a judge, sheriff of York County, member of the Massachusetts Council, and holder of various other offices. He also developed farms and mills, and helped to found the town which later became Sanford, Maine.

During King George's War, Moulton, now a colonel and one of New England’s most experienced soldiers, once more saw active service; he commanded one of the three Massachusetts regiments in the Siege of Louisbourg (1745). In April of that year he landed with the New England troops at Canso and went from there, leading a detached force of New Hampshire men, to capture and destroy Port-Toulouse in early May. He sat regularly with the council of war at Louisbourg and stayed on after the fall of the town to help with its occupation. He did not return to Maine until December 1745; shortly thereafter he was appointed judge of probate for York County.

He remained an active and respected citizen of York until his death in 1765. He is buried in the Old York Cemetery, York Village, York County, Maine.

bottom of page